Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Songs for October 26

A couple weeks ago, I saw Mason Jennings at the Neptune Theatre in Seattle with a band called The Pines playing as the opener. I've known the music of Mason Jennings for a while but I have only scraped the surface of The Pines' library of music. (Jennings proclaimed that The Pines were one of his favorite bands in the world) The song that stuck out the most in the set for me was "Shiny Shoes":



Last year, a collection of amazing musicians released a John Prine tribute album to pay homage to one of the more influential songwriters of their folk generation. Prine's songwriting style is as unique as his semi-gravelly voice but the musicians were up to the challenge and produced some really great covers. This one was done by My Morning Jacket--Jim James later went on to perform it with Prine on the Late Show with David Letterman. Both are wonderful versions but here is the studio version:

No comments:

Post a Comment